中文裡有說屋漏偏逢連夜雨,實際上泛指所有倒黴的遭遇接踵而來,那麼英文裡也有很多跟天氣有關的詞彙,組成俚語後,卻有著不同的含義
1、On cloud nine 九霄雲上(形容高興)
She has been on cloud nine since the magazine printed her photos.
自從那份雜誌發表了她的照片後,她高興得不得了。
學英語方法、夏令營遊學、小升初、雅思託福、新概念英語 關注:烤鴨學堂
2、fair-weather friend 酒肉朋友
I'm a bit disappointed in Jack. It turned out that he was only a fair-weather friend.
我對Jack有點失望,原來他是個酒肉朋友而已
3、Get wind 聽到風聲(消息)
How did you get wind of that terrific business deal ?
你是怎麼打聽到那筆好生意的?
學英語方法、夏令營遊學、小升初、雅思託福、新概念英語 關注:烤鴨學堂
4、Not so hot 不怎麼好,一般般
How are you today?
Not so hot, I am going to stay in bed and have a rest.
今天感覺如何?
不怎麼樣,我打算躺著歇一會
5、Chase the rainbow 做白日夢
Get down to your business! Stop chasing the rainbow.
做你自己的事兒吧,別白日做夢了
學英語方法、夏令營遊學、小升初、雅思託福、新概念英語 關注:烤鴨學堂
6、It never rains but it pours 禍不單行
First my car broke down, and then I lost my key. It never rains but it pours.
一開始我的車拋錨了,接著鑰匙還丟了,真是禍不單行啊